Friday, October 8, 2010

Downtown Presbyterian Revisited (in spirit)





 Downtown Presbyterian first seemed out of place, nestled between close buildings and a bustling street. However, I noticed that the area is a sort of architectural hodge-podge, full of classical, modern, and other styles. But seeing the church from the inside, to me, rendered the site of the building unimportant. The red carpet gives off a warm light while the stained-glass windows' blue tint is cooler. It gave me a sense of being warm and welcome inside while the outside may be a bit less comforting or chilly. 
The decorative painting and bright colors seemed oddly obnoxious at first. When I think of ancient Egypt, I think of how the monuments look now--tan and sandy. So the church initially seemed to overdo this Egyptian theme until I realized that this style of painting and color use is probably close in nature if not accurate to what we might have seen in Egypt's glory days. 


(I've just tried here to touch on anything I might not have mentioned in my first post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment