Thursday, September 2, 2010



The images we have discussed thus far in class have all contained examples of the elements of form that Horowitz discusses in “Reading Paintings.” Because googling “Jesus on the cross” was a disaster and needless to say unsuccessful, I will study and describe the painting and see if I can gain any insight as to when and by whom it was made.

The oil painting approaches photo-realism in its style yet is arranged theatrically. The diagonal line of the illuminated Jesus creates a dynamic focal point. The pyramidal upward motion of the composition not only implies movement and struggle, but as we discussed with the painting of the Madonna and Child, the pyramid was considered a perfect shape—representing the holy trinity. Although Jesus is being crucified, oppressed, executed, he remains above those who are persecuting him. He is thrust into the light while the other men remain mostly in his shadow.


Undoubtedly, in its time, this painting was an expression of the strength of Christ. If I had to make an uneducated guess (this is my first course in art history), I would think that this painting was done before the Enlightenment by someone painting in the academic or classical style. By the content and perspective (Christ literally held up), the artist and the painting’s intended audience were reverent and Religious people, empowered by the master narrative of Christianity

No comments:

Post a Comment